Throughout 2023, our Cultural Properties project is exploring shared ideas of home and community. Philadelphians are gathering untold stories from their neighborhoods to create new, interdisciplinary public artworks.
Cultural Properties highlights local folklore and neighborhood histories as key to civic engagement and empowerment in an age of changing landscapes, gentrification, and so-called urban renewal.
COSACOSA Workshop Programs 2023
Please call or email for specific dates and times to volunteer!
Art & Civic Engagement
• Cultural Properties community history workshops citywide, ongoing
• Past Forward archival project, digitizing 30 years of COSACOSA initiatives, ongoing
Art & Health
• Healing and Unity Gardens seasonal Art & Health events, ongoing
• Workshops at local pediatric healthcare centers, ongoing
• Communities of Care family-friendly workshops with the Nicetown-Tioga Improvement Team, April-October
Art & Education
• Neighborhood Icons mural and civics project at Vare-Washington School in South Philly, February-June
• Growing United painting and literacy project at McClure School in North Philly, April-May
• Coquí for Me painting and history project at Muñoz-Marín School in North Philly, April-May
• What Connects Us? literacy learning book distribution to city schools, Septemer-December
Art & Youth Development
• Kin/Folk/Lore storytelling collection, audio recordings, and listening events, ongoing
• multimedia design at our Manayunk studio, ongoing
• publication design at our Manayunk studio, ongoing
|COSACOSA Public Events and Exhibitions 2023
Click here, join our email list, or follow us on Facebook for details on current and upcoming presentations!
• Monday, January 16, 12 noon to 4 p.m. - Martin Luther King Day of Sevice school supply drive and open studio at the COSACOSA workshop in Manayunk
• Thursday, February 23, 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Neighborhood Icons open studio South Philly's Vare-Washington School intercultural, intercommunity art-making for Philadelphia schools
• Tuesday, March 21, 1 to 3 p.m. - Spring Forward North Philly Gardens seasonal opening family-friendly spring cleaning, planting, and art-making in our Healing and Unity Gardens
• Friday, April 28, 4 to 6 p.m. - Global Youth Service Day youth-led art-making and community planning at the Williams Moore Reed Memorial Park in North Philadelphia with the Nicetown-Tioga Improvement Team
• Friday, May 19, 12 noon to 1 p.m. - Growing United mural unveiling at North Philly's McClure School - an intercommunity celebration of new public art for Philadelphia schools
• Friday, June 2, 12 noon to 1 p.m. - Coquí for Me mural unveiling at North Philly's Muñoz-Marín School - an intercommunity celebration of new public art for Philadelphia schools
• Monday, September 11, 4 to 6 p.m. - Cultural Properties family-friendly planting, art-making and story-sharing at our Healing Garden in North Philadelphia
• Tuesday, October 31, 4 to 6:00 p.m. - Harvest Fest family-friendly mask-making and autumn masquerade at the Williams Moore Reed Memorial Park in North Philadelphia with the Nicetown-Tioga Improvement Team
• Tuesday, November 21, 5 to 7 p.m. - Coming Home, Giving Thanks harvest celebration and end of season reclamation in our North Philadelphia Healing & Unity Gardens, followed by a community meal
• Friday, December 15, 7 p.m. - Cultural Properties exhibition and story-sharing event at the COSACOSA workshop in Manayunk a community benefit and project celebration